The family moved to Indianapolis in 1823 two years before the state capitol was established. They lived on a farm on the outskirts of town. About 1845 he along with his brother-in-law George Robertson came to Delphi. They built a mill and engaged in the manufacture of paper.
Mr. Wood made frequent trips to Indianapolis and even as far away as Chicago. He also sold the John Rosser's Dutch-English Almanac. In exchange he took ginseng, beeswax, “Red Dog” and “ Blue Pup” the old canal script. In 1849 the mill burned and Mr. Robertson went to California. On his return he and Mr. Wood built another paper mill and operated it until the death of Mr. Robertson. It was then sold to Abner H. Bowen. Mr. Wood operated a flax mill for several years. It was located on the canal near where the present day Pizza Hut stands. He was engaged in the livestock and grain trade for a while.
He retired from active business circa 1885. He died at his home at 303 w. Front Street in 1900. Mr. Wood was married to Delia Harter in 1859. From that marriage they had four children. The third child was William Harter Wood and in 1900 he married Mary Opal Cartwright. They had three children the oldest being Charles Allison Wood. Mr. Wood was a lifetime resident of Delphi. He was manager of the Carroll Telephone Company for many years and was also
Mayor of Delphi for several terms.
Information on C.A. Wood provided by Stephen Robert Wood
Portraits provided by C.A. Wood. Its Wood Family tradition The portraits are passed to the first born who also takes the name C. A. Wood named in his honor.
C.A. Wood III -
Delia A. Harter Wood
Welcome This site is the web home of The Wood Family of Delphi, Indiana. Information has been contributed in the form of photos and documents by most members of this family but a special thanks to Bill and Dee Wood.
The information on Charles Anderson Wood and Charles Allison Wood was made available by Stephen and Carolyn Wood of Delphi They were also helpful with the First Family program.